Sunday, October 13, 2013

Turkey Day 2


Blue Mosque
Basilica Cistern
On day two, we spent some more time in Istanbul where we were able to go into the Blue Mosque where I found out that it's real name is the Sultanahmet Mosque. It was incredible! We of course have to wear scarfs over our hair when we go into mosques so I thought it would be fun to show you a picture of that. We also went to the Topkapi Palace that was built in 1459 and housed the Sultan for 400 years. It was converted into a museum after World War I. We then went to the are where the Hippodrome of Constantinople (now known as Old Istanbul) which was the horse track. Of course I was a little disappointed to find that non of the structure remains a few monuments. We saw the Basilica Cistern underground and it was huge! It was built in the 6th century A.D. We then took a ferry ride down and back along the banks of the Sea of Marmara. After this day I can say that I have not only spent time in Asia, but also Europe, since Istanbul is split on the two continents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment