Saturday, September 14, 2013

Western Wall
On Friday night, we took a field trip to the Western Wall. The picture above was not taken on the field trip because we went at sundown, which is the beginning of the Sabbath, so pictures are not allowed. I took this picture on a visit earlier this week. But I want to talk about the field trip. We took a long walk to Western Wall, and even though it was the evening, it was rather hot (I'm not sure I'll ever get used to the heat). I really admire the people who live here because they are champs when it comes to the heat. Once we got to the wall, we were given opportunities to go up to the wall which is completely open to visitors. The women are to go on the right and the men on the left. You can kind of see the separator in the middle of the wall. At the wall, there are millions of tiny paper of prayer of past visitors and worshipers. I am learning very quickly that it is very easy to feel the spirit pretty much anywhere. It was amazing to think off all the prayers that had been said here and the faith that had been displayed. It's comforting to know that such faith and hope exists all over the world, and especially here. I truly had an amazing experience. For a less serious note, right before I sat up to leave the base of the wall, one of the lovely Pigeons on the wall decided to give me a departing gift which splattered on my finger and skirt. I think the Pigeon wanted to make sure that I remember this experience fully.
Today we took a trip to the Garden Tomb. It is one of the most beautiful gardens that I have ever seen. I hope to have pictures very soon, because I will be back there a lot. It is a very peaceful place in a very busy city. I also love the emphasis that the caretakers and tour guides of the garden make that while this may not be the true tomb in which Jesus Christ laid, but the fact that Jesus Christ died for us and rose again is true, and that is what really matters. 

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha, I hope you took a picture of your "present" from your trip to the wall! I love the stories in your updates, Linds!

    ReplyDelete