Friday, December 6, 2013

Haifa Templar Cemetery

I almost forgot to talk about one of my favorite things. On this study abroad, we have visited a couple of cemeteries and, I think I have mentioned this before, I have really grown to like them. There is a very unique peace and spirit that I feel. This Cemetery in Haifa is especially cool, however. In this cemetery lies four of some of the early Saints of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am going to tell you the stories about these four people because I think it's really neat. Ok, so once upon a time there was a missionary named Jacob Spori. He was sent to Haifa in 1886 where, being previously inspired by in a dream, met Johan Georg Grau and his wife and taught them the gospel. They were baptized and are both buried here. in 1892, another missionary, Adolph Haag, a 27 year old father and husband was called to Haifa. Unfortunately, he contracted typhus and died, then being buried at this cemetery. He mentions in a journal member of the Haifa Branch named Christian Kegel. Her and her husband are buried here but I didn't get to see them (so I guess there are more than four members buried here...). The last person we learned about was John A.Clark, a 23 year old BYU student who was called in 1894. He served for a year and contracted smallpox and died right before his birthday. Elder Haag and Elder Clark are buried near each other and the broken columns on their grave monuments are supposed to symbolize their lives being cut short. My professor, Dr. Woods, read some really amazing journal entries and letter from these two missionaries and they really sacrificed a lot to serve the Lord. He reminded us that no righteous person goes before it is their time. We also learned that there is a purpose for everything. If it had not been for these two faithful missionaries, the church would have not been able to build the Jerusalem Center. The church needed to prove their existence and missionary activity in the Holy Land were able to do so by finding these grave sites. I love reading the headstones because both declare them as missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I am so grateful that I am here and that I am learning so much. The works of God are truly amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment