Thursday, December 5, 2013

We just got back from spending 10 days at the Ein Gev resort on the Sea of Galilee. This was by far my favorite trip that we have taken for this study abroad. First off, the sea was much smaller than I imagined and is really more like a lake. But it is beautiful! It is very peaceful, except we had to pretty big wind/rain storms while we were there, which was actually pretty cool to experience. It allowed a lot of time for the reflection of the miracles performed here and the principles that the Savior taught. I have already posted some pictures of a couple of the places we went to with little descriptions. It's hard because we did a lot. Some of the things we got to do included a hike to a waterfall in the Golan where a couple of us swam, even though it was completely freezing (this waterfall was only two miles from the Syria border) and we canoed in the Jordan river. We also went to Tiberias and had fish. It wasn't just any fish though, it was from the sea of Galilee and when they gave it too us, it still looked like a fish. I even ate an eyeball. Tiberias is also where we went to church because there is a small branch there. It was cool to hear about the members there and how much they sacrifice to get to church. But it was a beautiful building. Another place that I didn't get a picture of was mount Carmel, only because it was raining and really foggy. I hear that there is a really amazing view from the top, but we couldn't see a thing. But this was where Elijah challenges King Ahab and the priests of Baal, so I guess it was kind of cool to be there when it was pouring rain. We also got to ride in a Jesus boat on the sea. They call them Jesus boats, because they are supposedly constructed after the boats that were used during Christ's time. In 1986, during a huge drought, they found and ancient boat along the shoreline that was dated back to between 100 BC and 70AD. I'll add the picture of it. I could go on for a while about the other things we did, but I have papers to write and finals to study for. But just know that I loved this place and I hope I remember it always. I love learning about the Savior and His apostles and the wonderful things that they did. I hope I can grow to be more like them by following my Savior and sharing the gospel.

View of the Sea of Galilee outside my door at Ein Gev

No comments:

Post a Comment